Dr Beryl Tan - Frequently Asked Questions
After many years of helping to create a positive body image for all of her patients, Dr Beryl Tan, a specialist Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon has noticed a few common questions that arise frequently.
Read on to find the answers to some of the most popular questions in regards to the cosmetic or reconstructive surgery booking and consultation process.
What is the process/journey from my initial enquiry to recovery?
After your enquiry phone call or email, we’ll book a face-to-face consultation for assessment. A Zoom/Facetime is also possible. From here, we will discuss and discover the best surgical option for your needs and provide full support through to your recovery and new look.
What is required before or at the consultation?
In some cases, Dr Tan will require the following before your initial consultation:
- A GP/Specialist’s referral letter (faxed or emailed)
- Relevant investigation/test results (e.g. reports or CD of X-ray or scans)
- Patient registration form and Pre-consultation questionnaire (our team will email this to you)
How much does the consultation cost?
The prices for new patient’s first consultation for Face & Neck/Breast Reconstruction & Reduction/Body Contouring/Lipoedema are:
- 45-60 minutes: $300
- >60 minutes: $150 every additional 15 minutes
Second and subsequent pre-surgery consult:
- 15-30minutes: $150
Long term follow-up (6 months or more after surgery):
- 15-30 minutes: $150
- 30-60 minutes: $300
What does the consultation process involve?
Along with a detailed discussion about your issues and goals, the following information will be required:
- Registration (if not already done by email)
- A detailed history (please bring along relevant photos, test results or medical history)
- Examination (+/- pre-surgery photos)
- Recommendation and explanation of procedures (including risks)
- The viewing of Before and After photos (if relevant and available)
What happens after the initial consultation if surgery is recommended?
If we find the right solution for you, the following will take place after your initial consultation
- A quote will be provided within the first week (subject to timing of the hospital quote)
- Patient to read all documents provided
- Patient to write down further questions (to be asked at second consultation)
- Patient to attend relevant investigation such as blood test or scans (if required)
What is the next step if I decide to proceed with surgery?
If you decide to move forward with the recommended procedure, we will arrange a second consult, primarily for you to ask any questions that you may have. This consult may also include:
- Further and repeated explanation of procedure (if required)
- Pre-surgery photos (if not already done)
- Measurements (if a post-surgical garment is required)
- A meeting with Dr Tan’s team to explain more about the process of hospital registration, payment, etc.
- If you have a set date or date range, you can book for surgery with a deposit payment. The deposit is non-refundable if the procedure is cancelled within two weeks before surgery.
Is the second consultation always necessary?
No, but it is recommended as there is often an information overload from the first consult, and you may not remember some key details. You can also email your questions, but please limit these to 2-3 questions. If you have more questions, a second consult with Dr Tan in person is recommended.
What is the cost of surgery?
This depends on the type of surgery you choose, its complexity and its duration. Surgery costs are divided into the following:
- Surgeon’s fee
- Anaesthetist’s fee
- Surgical Assistant’s fee
- Hospital fees (Theatre and Bed fee)
- Prosthetist/implant(s) fee
For an exact cost relevant to your procedure, a consultation is required, after which you will be provided with a no-obligation quote.
Do I need to go to a hospital for surgery? Do I need to stay overnight or longer?
This will depend on the type and complexity of your surgery, and occasionally on your social situation (after general anaesthesia, you are not able to drive for 24 hours and it is not recommended that you stay home alone the first night).
What should I expect before I go home?
Before you head home post-surgery, you will be provided with the following:
- A post-op advice sheet
- A recovery pack (after major surgery)
- The booking of a follow-up Appointment (you may need to call for confirmation)
What sort of post-surgery care will I have?
It is very important to Dr Tan and her team that all patients are fully supported during their recovery. This will include:
- A review by Dr Tan or her nurse within the first 7-10 days after surgery
- Dressings changed, and scar management advice is given
- If you see the nurse first, you will see Dr Tan in the following 1-2 weeks
- Generally, the follow-up thereafter is 4-6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months and 1 year
Book a consultation for a body contouring review with Dr Tan today
Dr Tan is passionate about helping you achieve a look that you feel comfortable with, boosting your confidence in the process. She applies over fifteen years of experience, in-depth skills and knowledge to each case to achieve this. Book an appointment with Dr Beryl Tan today at Brighton, Cabrini or PRSM in Donvale and Drouin, and find out if body contouring can help you achieve an aesthetic you’ll love.